BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 23, 2009

Camporee


Last weekend I took a trip to the Santa Fe dam for a camporee with scouting. I am pretty sure that I have explained what a camporee was before on my blog so I wont bother with what it is again but each on is usually themed and this one was Space Exploration themed, as you could earn the merit badge there (which I did). Vince and I only went this time, as Simon went with dad on another camping trip with cub scouts about 30 minutes from where I was. That was actually Simon's first camping trip with scouting.

After going through the days competition, my patrol got together and a few of us started to cook dinner. One of the scouts (I don't think anyone figured who did it) screwed in the hose that attached the camping stove and propane tank together. After seeing that it was hooked up, the propane was turned on as I helped a new scout lite the stove since the built-in ignitor does not work (they never do). As soon as the lighter had its flame close to the stove, FFFWHOOOOSH! Almost instantly a huge geyser of fire appeared from a connection between the hose and stove and probably burnt some of my arm hairs off. Everyone scattered and panicked as I yelled to turn of the gas and I found a fire extinguisher and gave it a little squirt and it was out (I have never had to use one, but apparently I know how.) Everything on the small table was covered in white dust but no damage was done. The connection may have been fine, but there may have been a hole in the hose, so it will be inspected for a problem.

Later that night, the whole camporee regrouped and did some trivia questions as well as watching a movie called "October Sky" on a projector. The substitute would have been "Apollo 13" but in my opinion "October Sky" is a way better movie. Plus I have seen "Apollo 13" quite a few time now but that was my first time seeing "October Sky".

On Sunday we packed up camp quickly and headed to a different part of the dam that had an open space to launch small rockets for part of the merit badge. There were rockets of all different powers, shapes, and sizes. Noticeable ones included an X-Wing and also...... a portable restroom rocket.

0 comments: