I know I already posted a blog about day 1 but this entry from my journal has some more details and includes day 2 of my project.
Day 1
I was nervous the first day of my Eagle Project. It went alright in the end and is now finished though. Everything was purchased and ready to go. I woke up pretty early and immediately started getting ready. I got some donuts on the way to the church for the volunteers since it started so earl in the morning.
When we got at the church I set up some tables and chairs in the dining room I reserved and also set up a spot for eating and another half of the room for tools and furniture building. As I was setting up some signs outside my Eagle Project mentor, Roger Olson, arrived. As time went on scouts and adults came and I got them started on building furniture and scrubbing walls. While we let the baby room walls dry, I directed some boys to go outside and shampoo a rocking chair.
After the walls dried, we started painting the walls and ceiling. This is where is first problem came up. We had finished painting every wall except the brick one. The brick kept soaking up the primer that we put on it, so we were starting to run low. I was going to have my dad run out to the store and get more primer but I had him wait until we used all of the primer possible. We ended up having just enough. While the primer was being put on, a dimmer switch was also put on. I had an electrician named Don Blackwell who attends our church come in and help us install it.
Since it was about lunch time I bought some pizzas for all of the volunteers.After lunch we started painting the parts of the room where the primer had dried. By this point most of the younger boys had left and more of the older and more experienced boys came. When we finished painting we did a few touch-up spots and then started to clean up. At this time it was about 4:00 PM, making my project right on schedule.
Day 2
The next week started pretty much like the first one did except I was not as nervous. Instead I felt like I was forgetting something(I kinda was, I just didn't know that it was missing.....keep reading). Most of the boys in my troop were on a trip on Catalina Island but I still had enough help. That day was way more relaxed than the first and required a few wait times.
The project started out with figuring out the instructions for the blinds I purchased. One of the reasons we had problems was because we figured out that the blinds were missing a piece. Of course it was the piece that would attach it to the wall.
So my dad went to go search for L-brackets while the rest of us stayed and put together wall-mounted bookshelves, clocks, and some other random items. Mr Bravo (Who is my patrol advisor) got to my project right as my dad got back. Mr. Bravo was sort of working as my translator for the day to talk to the carpet professional (He has done the church's carpet in the past) who I bought carpet from and hired him to help us lay carpet. The thing was though, he did not speak much English, which is why I asked Mr. Bravo if he could help. When the carpet guy started setting up his tools, Mr. Bravo and my dad went out to go pick-up a 3-foot sandwich I ordered for the lunch.
The carpet guy had the boys help him edge the carpet and he said that where very helpful. After the carpet was done we finished on the blinds and soon Auntie Darla came with the blinds and valances she made for the project. We put up one of them but the other was put up later because of lack of brackets. In addition to picking up the brackets we also picked up floor moulding since it was not included in the carpeting. My dad put on the moulding and helped put up the curtain since everyone else left because it was about 5:00 PM. After cleaning up we took a few more photos and then went home to victoriously rest. The next day many people went in to see finished room and Pastor Kevin also signed his approval in my Eagle Project workbook.
Now I only need my Camping Merit Badge, meet with my scoutmaster, and then I need to pass the big, ultimate, ultra-deciding, inquisitive, fate-changing, intimidating meeting otherwise known as the Eagle Board of Review.
(You can view more pictures at this link)
Monday, May 5, 2008
Eagle Project days 1 and 2
Posted by Rock4Him at 11:51 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment